|Active time: 5 min||Cook time: 3 min||Serves: 1|
Grilled cheese. Those two words, so simple and universally recognized, yet so disrespectful to bread. We won't get into our beef with the fact that one does not simply grill straight-up cheese, but rather, we're here to report that you no longer even need a grill!
From this day forward, a more accurate name may be Toasted Cheese. But at Revolution, we call it The Sasha, after one of our team member's granddaughter, who pioneered the testing of our panini press on this delicious childhood favorite.
That's right, this recipe is kid-tested, grandpa-approved.
Here's how you can make The Sasha in your toaster, and how you can level-it-up if you're feeling a bit fanciful. Get ready for the perfect, crispy-on-the-outside, warm-and-melty-on-the-inside grilled cheese, in a fraction of the time, with far less clutter and cleanup. Let's start!
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 slices sharp Cheddar
- 1 teaspoon softened butter (optional)
- Place the slices of bread side by side. Press a slice of cheese on each piece of bread. Place one slice of bread on top of the other with the cheese on the inside and press the sandwich together. Lightly spread butter on both sides of the sandwich, if using.
- Place the sandwich inside the panini press, then close and lock the press. With a paper towel, wipe around the outside of the press to clean off any excess butter or drips. Place the panini press in the right slot of the toaster with the handles facing to the outside of the toaster.
- On the home screen, select the BREAD function. If your toaster has the panini mode, make sure the panini toggle is on. For a crispy golden exterior, select toast level 7. For a little extra toastyness, you can toast for a second cycle at a level 3 or 4.
Once the toasting cycle completes, carefully remove the panini press from the toaster and allow the sandwich to sit for 1 to 2 minutes before cutting in half.
FOR YOUR NEXT ONE, LEVEL IT UP.
- Swap out your cheese to one that melts well: Gruyere, Port Salut, goat cheese, blue cheese, Brie, smoked provolone, Gouda, Camembert, Asiago, Fontina.
- Add an additional filling or two: Hot pepper jelly, sliced pickles, spicy peppers: e.g., peppadew and pepperoncini, sliced pear, halved grapes, pickled red onion, potato chips, orange marmalade, honey, Marmite, caramelized onion jam, or any deli meat.
- Upgrade your bread: Use sourdough or any artisan bread.
- Dip it: heat up a bowl of grilled cheese's favorite companion, tomato soup, and dip generously.
SHARE IT WITH US.
Have you made a grilled cheese in with your Revolution InstaGLO® Toaster with Revolution Panini Press? Post a photo on Instagram and tag @RevCooking!
Recipe credit: Chef Tara Holland