The Challah Back: Challah French Toast
|Active time: 5 min||Cook time: 3 min||Serves: 1|
Ready to have your mind blown? French toast is not actually from France. In fact, it was invited by an 18th-century Brit named Joseph French who simply failed to use an apostrophe (French’s toast). Questionable grammatical aptitude aside, there’s someone we can all agree is worth celebrating. So, here’s to you, Joseph French. You may not win any awards in English, but when it comes to brunch, you’re the king. (Call we get a “Challah”?)
Why challah makes such darn good French toast
While there’s no “bad” bread for French toast, some hold up better than others. And challah has what it takes. Here, we turn from grammar to science to explain why. Typically made without dairy, challah is an eggy bread with a density that can absorb a lot of liquid without falling apart. This results in a creamy inside with a slightly crisp outside. In other words, perfection.
- 2 (1-inch) thick slices challah bread, preferably 1 day old
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbs. heavy cream or half and half
- ¼ tsp. orange zest
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Fresh seasonal berries, maple syrup, and confectioners' sugar for serving
- 1 Tbs. softened butter for serving (optional)
- In a shallow dish, beat the egg until blended. Whisk in the heavy cream, orange zest, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Add the 2 slices of bread in the egg mixture, soaking both sides. Remove one slice of bread shaking off any excess mixture. Allow the second slice to continue to soak.
- Now place it in the Toastie Press and close and lock the press. Wipe around the outside of the press to clean off any drips with a paper towel.
- Place the filled Toastie Press into the right slot of your Revolution Toaster with the handles facing out.
Now make your next selection based on the model you have:
- Serve the French toast with berries, maple syrup, confectioner’s sugar, and a patch of butter. Enjoy!
Download and print the Challah Back recipe card
SHARE IT WITH US.
Have you made the Challah Back French Toast in your Revolution InstaGLO® Toaster with Revolution Toastie Press? Post a photo on Instagram and tag @RevCooking!
Recipe credit: Chef Tara Holland
Introducing the Revolution Toastie Press
Because big appliances are a big pain.
We’re going to assume we don’t need to sell you on the idea of a panini. Who doesn’t love the melty-deliciousness of a pressed sandwich, right? But big appliances are, well, a big pain. You need to lug them out, they can be hard to clean and they take up valuable counter space. This toastie attachment is our solution: Simple, compact and super easy to use it gives you the sandwiches you love, minus the mess and hassle you don’t.
- Heats up quickly: Deliver the toastie of your dreams in seconds not minutes. (Learn more about our safe, eco-friendly InstaGLO technology here!)
- Easy to clean: Wipe down with a sponge or pop it in the dishwasher.
- Small footprint: Stash it with your coffee, in your bread box or just sit it in the toaster when not in use.
Faster. Smarter. Tastier.